Sunday, July 13, 2014

INTERVIEW WITH GINO MARINO

Incubus was an underground kick ass Cult Black/Death metal band from the 80's. Here's the interview with one of the members of the band Gino Marino.

Hi Gino, you don't really need too much of an introduction, but for our younger readers and those newer to extreme Metal can you give us a brief introduction to who you are and what you do?
Well, my name is Gino Marino, and I play and write guitar music, and drumming as well.

Back in the day you have been in Incubus and Nocturnus. What have been your great or less favourite moments in your career so far and why?
My greatest moments have been my time in Incubus, we were all young and crazy with no worries... and my worst moments were working and writing for Nocturnus, because the drummer mike browning was a really sloppy drummer, and it was a hassle to try and get him to play in time, or even remember the songs. There was a lot of times we played live, and mike would just stop playing right in the middle of a song, because he forgot it... WOW!!!

In the late 80's and early 90's Death Metal exploded as a genre, especially with the Tampa scene but it quickly became saturated with countless copycat bands and many thought that Death Metal would die out but it kept on going. Today the genre is more saturated than ever but what do you think it is that has kept it going since the 80's?
GREAT QUESTION, in my opinion the reason death-metal has lived so long and will remain alive forever, is because its honest, brutal, and expresses a lot of different real issues about this world. Its a genre that has no room for fake people!!

Your lyrics on the demos were very horror based and dark, are you a huge horror movie fan?. How did you get into the genre of horror, and what was the first horror movie you watched?
Yes, horror is my favorite genre, and it has been since I was probably 2 or 3 years old... I used to sit and watch creature feature every sunday!!! and my 1st horror movie was the creature from the black lagoon... lol..

Let me know about your solo project. What can we expect from you musically over the next couple of years? Do you still have any intentions to make some new brutal shit ?
My new project is called Suddaths Reign, and it comes out next month... and in my opinion is my best work to date... I also am working on a full length Incubus album to pay homage to my fallen brother Sterling, it will be done by the end of this year...

Now the " Question". How did you find these guys to form Incubus in the first place? What is going on with the ex member of Incubus and Nocturnus? Are you still in contact with them? Why Incubus and Nocturnus broke up in their early days as a band?
I found Mike browning through mutual friends that played in bands, and Incubus broke up because of fighting, drinking, and the satanic stuff... and I left Nocturnus because of Mike Brownings sloppy drumming,  and the adding of keyboards. I hated the idea of keyboards!!! The keyboards were cool for intros, and for lacing slower parts, but as a permanent member?, I was against it... We also split because of writing differences. I wanted to keep it more old school death (like the demo) and a few of them wanted to write a bunch of scales and arpeggios for the rhythms.

Who decided on the name Incubus and why did you choose it? How is the metal scene where you are?
Sterling came up with the name Incubus, and why he choose it? I don't know, (but it was a cool name)!!! and the scene in tampa is always flourishing... The metal community here are like family, we all help each-other for the most part.

How would you describe the music of Incubus and what would you say is most prominent?
The Incubus stuff was just plain brutal and chaotic!!! Its just brutal... and in my opinion, the guitar solos, and vocals stand out the most for me!!

How do you see yourself as part of the metal scene?
Wow!!! I don't really see myself like that, but iv been told that I am something??? But I don't see me like that. I just love to play guitar and write music!

How do you get the inspiration for your writing? Have you had sufficient support when you decided to form or be in a band?
My inspiration comes from my childhood experiences, and from MARIJUANA!!! I smoke a lot of pot for inspiration. for some reason pot really opens my mind and helps me to focus on what comes through. I have never taken lessons, or do I write my songs or solos, my ideas just come out of no-where, and over the years iv just accepted that... so smoking brings that out... So to answer your question, the metal gods and Marijuana give me my music!!! lol...

Besides Metal, what other types of music do you like? What kinds of things do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I love blues, classical, and jazz!!! a lot of my playing is derived from blues... and I love video games, martial arts, billiards, skate-boarding, surfing, camping, a lot of stuff!!! I seem to take something, master it, then learn something else..

What do you prefer? Mp3's or physical cds? How is the music connected with the person you are?
Physical cd's!!! I like the art/lyrics ect!!! I hate a lot of new technologies. My new music is recorded in analog, because I cant stand digital stuff... not that it isn't great, its just I think the old analog sound was more metal/pure sounding!!! I embrace the sounds of mistakes, it is what metal is to me, not all this perfect sounding crap!!!

Who do you feel has had the greatest impact on you personally (not Necessarily musically) when you were growing up? Are you working outside of the band? Do you have your own family?
My mother was a big influence to me... she made me play piano when I was 4 years old, and she turned me on to led zeppelin / jimi hendrex / and many others. she was my best friend and we jammed as well... before she died I let her play piano on one of my projects... R.I.P. mom!!! and I do have a family, I have a wife, 3 daughters, and a son... I love my family and they have changed my life being in my life. They also must love me, because they put up with a lot of my crap!!! lol..

Thanks Gino for the chance to interview you for Soulgrinder. Any special greetings or last words to fans?
Thanks for the opportunity to speak to you Paul and the metal fans out in the world... I love everyone of you, and I am in great debt to all of you for keeping me alive inside our family of metal soldiers. I look forward to writing more music for all of you, and I look forward to the tribute/Incubus album for my brother Sterling. and if anyone ever wants to talk/or share their music with me, feel free to write me anytime on facebook. I answer all friends!!! FOREVER METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.facebook.com/pages/Incubus-Florida/841315479217225
www.facebook.com/Kingfretboard?fref=ts
Interview by Paul Caravasi

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Im Tim Pia. Used to Play with and lived with Gino back in the 80's and just wanted to say hey. Im a bass player. And loved the rhythyms and kind of, galloping thing Gino did. Every once in a while, Ill play some of his riffs to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete